On May 2, 1974, a young, skilled pilot, 23-year-old Carlos Antonio de los Santos Montiel, embarked on a seemingly ordinary flight from Mexico City to Zihuatenajo aboard his Piper Aztec 24, registered as XB-XAU. This journey, initially planned as a quick round trip, unexpectedly extended when Carlos chose to stay overnight.

The following morning, Carlos faced a challenging start. Despite the murky conditions blanketed with smog and mist, limiting visibility, he took to the skies at 10:30 AM without having breakfast. He aimed for a cruising altitude of 13,500 feet, only to find conditions worsening, compelling him to ascend further to 14,500 feet where clearer skies awaited.

However, as Carlos approached the area of Tequesquitengo, his flight took an extraordinary turn. Opting to decrease altitude for a visual check of his position over Lake Tequesquitengo, he instead encountered dense ground mist and fog, obscuring his view. It was then, in this obscured, uneasy atmosphere, that the extraordinary unfolded.

Carlos, initially focused on his left side window, turned his attention to the front, only to discover a shocking sight to his right. Hovering just above the wing’s surface and merely meters from his cabin, he spotted an object resembling two saucers joined at the rims, complete with a dome featuring a small window and an antenna. Astonishingly, a similar object mirrored this position above the left wing.

Frozen in disbelief, Carlos’s shock escalated when a third object, identical in appearance, seemingly on a collision course with his windshield, instead narrowly missed and passed beneath his aircraft. This close encounter was accompanied by a strange noise and a noticeable decrease in airspeed, from 140 to 120 nautical miles per hour.

In a desperate attempt to regain control and distance himself from these mysterious entities, Carlos tried to maneuver his plane, only to find the controls unresponsive. Even the landing gear refused to deploy, heightening the gravity of his predicament.

The situation escalated to a critical point, leading Carlos to issue a distress signal to the Mexico City International Airport Control Tower, outlining his dire circumstances: three unidentified flying objects surrounding his plane, his controls frozen, and his aircraft apparently commandeered by an unseen force.


Responding with urgency, the Mexico City International Airport prepared for an emergency landing, halting all traffic and assembling a crisis team. Meanwhile, the mysterious objects continued their unsettling dance around the Piper Aztec.

As Carlos approached the Ajusco navigational fix, a dramatic shift occurred. The unidentified objects, having elevated the aircraft to an altitude of 15,800 feet, began to depart one by one, disappearing towards the Popocatepetl and Iztaccihuatal volcanoes. With their departure, Carlos miraculously regained control of his aircraft.

After several tense attempts and 40 minutes circling the airport, Carlos, employing a screwdriver and sheer determination, managed to lower the landing gear. He executed a safe landing on a grassy area between runways, where emergency vehicles and medical personnel awaited.

Post-landing, Carlos underwent thorough medical examination at the Airport Clinic, dispelling any suspicions of impairment due to drugs or alcohol. The mystery deepened as various experts weighed in. His uncle, an aircraft authority, offered insights during the landing, while an aviation medicine chief suggested the ordeal might have been a hallucination induced by low blood sugar.

However, this theory faced scrutiny, as Carlos displayed none of the typical symptoms of hypoglycemia. If fear had indeed induced a hallucinatory state, it should have resulted in a shock response, rendering him incapable of landing the plane – a contradiction to the events that unfolded.

Further investigations revealed Carlos’s impeccable record as a pilot, his lack of interest in science fiction or UFOs, and a radar confirmation of an unidentified blip executing an impossible maneuver near his plane. This incident, thoroughly examined by Field Investigator Fernando Telles, stands as a perplexing chapter in aviation history, leaving more questions than answers about what truly happened in the skies above Mexico on that fateful day in May 1974.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments