Situated on the banks of the Hudson River in Buchanan, New York, the Indian Point nuclear reactor complex serves as a crucial energy hub for millions. Despite its state-of-the-art security systems and a highly skilled security team, the facility faced an extraordinary dilemma in the summer of 1984. A series of unidentified flying objects made close approaches to the reactors, leaving behind questions that still lack clear answers today.

A central figure in this puzzling story is Carl, a 35-year-old officer with the New York State Power Authority police. With three years at the Power Authority and prior experience as a New York State Police officer, Carl also had military experience flying helicopters. When he filed his report on June 14, 1984, his professional background lent credibility to his observations.

On that evening, Carl was patrolling the area around the Indian Point Number Three reactor. At approximately 10:15 PM, he spotted bright, white lights with a yellowish tint coming from the northeast. These lights were arranged in a boomerang formation, unlike any conventional aircraft. Realizing the seriousness of the situation, Carl quickly radioed for backup, and two additional guards arrived.

For about 20 minutes, the security team observed the object, hovering some distance from one of the facility’s gates. The lights were unusually bright, exceeding the luminosity of the high-intensity security lights surrounding the complex. Carl estimated the object to be around 300 feet in length.

Further intrigue came when a plane flew behind the object, temporarily obscuring its lights, which reappeared as the plane passed. This indicated that the object was a single, solid entity. Despite wind speeds up to 25 knots, the object maintained its position with an unsettling steadiness. Eventually, it moved away at a slow speed, heading toward Peekskill and leaving the guards bewildered.

The incident was not isolated. Plant workers and nearby residents also reported sightings, and local police received numerous calls. Adding to the complexity, another unusual event occurred at Indian Point on July 24, 1984. That evening started routinely enough, with guards monitoring the complex’s elaborate security mechanisms. But the atmosphere shifted when a guard announced over the radio that the UFO had returned. This time, multiple witnesses, including supervisors, reported the object, which had dynamic, shifting lights and an ice-cream-cone-like shape.

As the object came within just 30 feet of one of the reactors, the facility’s advanced security systems began to fail. Movement sensors went offline, alarm systems malfunctioned, and even the central computer overseeing security and communications went down. The situation was so severe that the commander contacted Camp Smith, a nearby New York National Guard base, to consider the possibility of shooting down the object. Before this drastic action could be taken, the object moved away at a leisurely pace, as in the previous incident.


Despite numerous witnesses, including plant workers and nearby residents, official explanations remained elusive. In the aftermath, the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission visited the plant, resulting in a major security overhaul. However, the absence of concrete identifications, official reports, or clear explanations left a lasting sense of uncertainty.

The events at Indian Point in 1984 served as a startling reminder of potential vulnerabilities even at highly secure installations. The incidents raised questions about our preparedness for unexpected phenomena and highlighted significant flaws in security protocols. Sophisticated systems designed to protect one of the nation’s most sensitive facilities experienced a complete malfunction. This technological failure exposed a newfound vulnerability among the security personnel, escalating concerns to unprecedented levels.

The involvement of Camp Smith, less than ten miles away, indicated the severity of the situation. The commander’s request for armed intervention suggested a willingness to resort to lethal force against an unidentifiable threat. Yet despite high-level involvement from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission and significant changes to security measures, the incident remains shrouded in ambiguity.

Various accounts, from security personnel to plant workers and local residents, add complexity to an already intricate narrative. However, these accounts seem to have fallen on deaf ears, as official records and clear explanations are lacking. The security team was told to forget the incident, and no official documentation appears to exist.

The events of that summer in 1984 at the Indian Point nuclear reactor complex leave us with more questions than answers. They exposed shortcomings in our understanding of security and technology and left an indelible impression on those who witnessed them. Decades later, the incidents remain an unresolved chapter in the ongoing conversation about unidentified aerial phenomena.


0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments